I am no travel expert but then who is? In fact I am not even a true traveler (per the definition of many fellow backpackers). So when a friend out of a casual conversation asked if I know anything about eastern Europe and would help him plan a trip to explore party destinations for him and his gang of other three in European part of the world, my traveler soul squeals out of sheer excitement.
Without discounting my love for travel a wee bit, I, with a wandering heart sit down to doing what I do best – lookup the unknown and add my personal favorites to make this trip enthralling for this bunch of boys. Having explored most of the countries in his bucketlist, I take my notes and then collaborate with a very good friend Saurabh, who has lived and traveled across Europe for many years now.
Below is his and my list of top party destinations topped with a couple of music festivals that you’d love to sweat about, this summer.
- Barcelona, Spain is the place to where soul, music, food and some rock solid parties come together to blend in a super harmony. Areas like Barri Gotic and El Born, not too far off from Ramblas, are party havens. Here you can party with locals and tap to some thumping music.If you just want to grab a couple of drinks and soak in the culture, sign up for one of the free cycling tours which after a day of sightseeing, greets you with unlimited sangrias, tapas and lots of chatter with travelers from all over the world. For a yet simpler party version, go for a pub/bar crawl with a bunch of hostel mates.
Music Festival to attend: Sonar fest, Barcelona – “Sonar is pure music fanatic fantasyland with all kinds of music and a stamina that will take you long past midnight.” | Details: June 12 – 14, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Ibiza, Spain: No party list is complete without a mention of Ibiza. What’s your party style? Foam, laser, strippers, beach bars, electronic, dub step you’ll find everything here. It’s ‘the’ party joint that offers everything from raw to beach to hardcore parties for dance and drink lovers. This is a place for you if you are a night crawler, day wanderers stay away as the city, Ibiza goes for a nap in the day.
- Budapest, Hungary: Unlike the popular belief, Hungarians are one of the most fun people who love to talk after they are drunk. They embrace their parties. The eccentricity of Ruin bars laced with scents of the young and old alike makes Budapest ‘the’ place to party in Europe. Drinks are cheap, bars’ decor is intriguing and people are lighthearted and fun. I visited Budapest for its thermal baths, little did I know that a relaxing day in hot natural springs would morph into a magnetic field of high energy and voltage generated by gangs of young party rockers. Hot thermal bath pools, brilliant music and great semi naked bodies swaying to the beats, what’s not to like?
- Amsterdam, Netherland: the Mecca, the Holy Grail call it whatever you want, but you ain’t partied anything in your 20s if you haven’t partied in Amsterdam boy. It attracts artists, tourists and wanderers looking to explore the unexplored side of life. It’s the place where forbidden is accepted and embraced. Saturated with bars, canals and clubs, Amsterdam is famous for its coffee shops, bar crawls, marijuana and the Red Light District. No European party destination list is complete without its mention.
Music Festival to attend: Pinkpop Festival – “You better like your rock music as this is one of those festivals that hasn’t strayed from its roots.” | Details: June 7 – 9, 2014 | Landgraaf, The Netherlands
- Prague: If you are looking for a laidback yet fun place to party in Europe, Prague is your answer. Prague parties are as gorgeous as the city itself, alcohol is affordable, beer befriends you, music and DJs are world class and nights are blissfully long. Good music, dance and cheerful people keep you company. It’s ideal for a solo traveler looking to mingle around and for a bunch of girls looking for fun packed party night. Beer is big in Prague and pub crawl is the best way to sample over 100 types of beer variety.
Note: To get most of these party destinations’ shenanigans, plan for at least a 3 – 4 weeks trip.
That’s all in my list of party places in Europe. For anybody, not in the mood or age to party, Sorry for Party Rocking :p
~ Stay young and breathe!