Winter edition – Greet the New Year with joy by visiting these Indian party hubs that in addition to being excellent party places offer many alternate and offbeat experiences for experimental bunch.
The New Year is the time to celebrate the onset of the future and to bid goodbye to the passing year. As the world rejoices the start of a new beginning, India also is preparing beforehand to organize parties to mark the arrival of the New Year. Like other parts of the world, India has some breathtaking destinations where the crowds assemble to welcome the New Year and I have visited a few of them, while the rest are on my wishlist. The New Year is the idyllic time to gear up for an additional exciting outing and for appreciating some of the mesmerizing destinations in India. If you are eyeing for some destinations where you can celebrate New Year in India, here is a list of 5 of the best places you can plan a trip for . Here is a list of the Top 5 places in India for you to spend your New Year with great celebratory merriment.
Tini-tiny Goa – Its one of the most popular party destination of India and it doesn’t fail to impress with its New Year’s rave parties. It is a picture-perfect heady blend of party life and festive music. You can booze and have fun in the chilly setting of sea-shore in the night.
- Beaches & Clubs – Goa is a host of many great clubs, exotic cuisines, fireworks and truly cool vibe ideal for a perfect welcoming of new year. The beach parties at Vagator and Anjuna are crowd-pullers as they offer wonderful ambience for New Year’s party.
There is also lot more that one can experience in addition to that party till dawn. Its a pot-pourri of Indian and Portuguese cultures, seasoned with sea, sand, seafood, spirituality and a whole lot of sun.
- Spirituality in the sun: Winters is the time where spirituality is at it’s best in Goa, with appearance of bountiful mediation and spiritualist activities all across the state Goa. Polish your t’ai chi sessions, join a spiritual retreat or take a course in reiki healing; practice Yoga with a seasoned instructor or go on a self mediation journey every morning next to the beach. the choice is yours.
- Taste the Culture and Cuisine: Goa is highly known for its exotic food and architecture with strong Indo-Portugese influence;
- Food: Infusion of Indian spices with Portuguese dishes. The aroma, spices and flavours of Goa’s cuisine entice and tantalize most travelers. So much so, people go to Goa to relish it’s local goan delicacies and experience the culture. Typical favorites are a classic fish curry rice, a morning bhali-pau (bread roll dipped in curry), a piquant vindaloo, with its infusions of wine vinegar and garlic, or a spicy xacuti sauce.
- Goa is perticularly known for it’s Portuguese colonial architecture and heritage. The Portuguese arrived in Goa, 5 centuries back in 1510 at the promise of lucrative spice routes. Their influence is clearly evident in it’s typical baroque architecture, bright & colorful Catholic ceremonies against whitewashed churches, fado music and beautiful cathedrals of Old Goa.
Plan a couple of months ahead for Goa, as hotels and all the popular party destinations get reserved before you expect. Goa is also a perfect tropical getaway for Christmas celebrations as well owing to its strong Portuguese influence.
It is a picturesque little town snuggled in the lap of Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. I was there a couple of years back. This city gives the feel of mountainside where you can relish a choice of catholic cuisines at budget prices. The scenic attractiveness the small-time city provides another dimension to the party celebrators.
Mc.Leod (commanly called) also has a very strong Buddhist influence. Three kilometres north of Dharamsala town (or 10km via the looping bus route), McLeod Ganj is the residence of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and home to a large Tibetan population, including many monks and nuns. Huge number of international tourists and visitors come each year to study and practice Buddhism, meditation or yoga.
How you celebrate new years at Mc.Leod it completely upto you as it offers a huge variety ranging from a good hearty trek in the Dhauladhar mountains for nature preferring people to party with friends or relaxed conversation on the hilltop; from a low-budget spiritual getaway to an indulged experience of lip smacking food at local cafes and restaurants dishing up Indo-Italo-Israeli-Tibetan food.
It offers much-needed respite from wild city life and gives a feeling of being part of the nature. That is specifically why folks call it as a slice of heaven. It has one of the hand-picked ski resorts in the world. For people looking for extreme winter sports and skiing in powder like snow or even just to take breathtaking pictures of clear starry skies topped on soft vast expanse of snow, Gulmarg is your place. It’s perfect for seasoned skiiers and anyone looking for an alternate to rave or skip city life. This snowy white heaven of the town is perfect, to get you in that adraline filled, joyful celebration mood to welcome the New Year.
As far as New Year is concerned, loud celebration, reunion with family or a trip with friends is considered while planning for a New Year enjoyment. How about rejoicing the mark of a new year in the between the hills of Himachal. Inhale the uplifting air of Kasol and welcome the New Year by soaking in the charismatic nature. Kasol, also known as mini Isreal is a little and fascinating hill resort with international tourists mostly backpackers enjoying reggae music, mini bakeries and cheap Indo-Isrleali cusine. It is one of the fabolous spots in India where you can revivify your mind by exploring the forested valley or just chilling out.
I saved the best one for the last. Loneley Planet calles it a tropical symphony. The state is acknowledged for backwaters. For many travellers, including me, Kerala is South India’s most serenely beautiful state.It’s shaped by it’s perfectly shaped tea and spice gardens, adorned by series of natural waterfalls, dense rainy forests and beautiful beaches. It’s at peace network of glistening backwaters adds a serene sense of calmness to the most bundled nerves. Kerala with it’s pure & pristine where lush green zen slows the time and nourishes the soul in the most enriching way. It’s away from the frenzy of world, one of the more laid-back destinations.
- Rent a houseboat and dock on any side of the back water alley to enjoy exotic kerala cusine rich with coconut oil or coconut milk. Get one with the calmness in the quit of backwaters and revel in your New Year with your closed ones.
- Hike to the tea and spice plantations and come back to some warming local tea tasting at your hill side hotel. Spend a relaxed evening at a herbal spa or watch the sun setting behind the cardamom hills, reflecting it’s gorgeousness over the infinity pool.
- You can also head to one of the better known beach parties and relax to the exotic sound of the enchanting waves. Places like Varkala entice a lot of party loving people making this beach side beauty an excellent New Year destination.
Have you celebrated in one of the more popular party places in India doing offbeat things? Where did you go? Share in the comment. Let’s welcome the New Year with positive and enriching experiences that leave our soul relaxed and mind energized.